Friday 17 June 2016

Toddlers, Part Four

More funny stuff my toddlers say and do.

Pictured: J (left) and R (right) wearing their underwear on their heads on two non-consecutive occasions.

Earlier editions: Part One, Part Two and Part Three.

Let's start with some updates...

1.
Last time I did this I mentioned that the boys can now recognise the letters that start their names, and that there are always more R's than J's.

Although this isn't a problem now, my concern is this discrepancy will cause problems down the line, because toddlers find problems with everything. Like R the other day was extremely upset because J "wouldn't go into space to see the robot with him". I asked, "can you go to space by yourself?". With tears streaming down his face he said, "but I want to go with all the other children".

Anyway, I didn't have to be concerned.

The other day I overheard R saying, "there's an R!".

J replied, "but there's no J".

R agreed, "there is no J... I'm sorry."

J happily replied, "that's all right!"

2.
The boys letter recognition has now expanded to most of the alphabet. They were showing off this new talent on the train on the way home one afternoon. I had a shopping bag with words on it, and R and J were both pointing out "there's a C for cat", or "there's an F for Fireman Sam" as they ate B for bananas.

This impressed the lady sitting next to me greatly.

She told them how clever they were. R responded by smushing up the rest of his banana, then saying "I like to lick things". If the women doubted the accuracy of his statement, he then began licking the banana off his hand.

3.
On eating things, we got a new fridge with an in-built water cooler. It also dispenses ice cubes and crushed ice. When he wants crushed ice, J keeps asking to drink from "a cup filled with glass".

4.
Discipline continues to be completely ineffective. Last time J was sending R to the naughty corner while in the shower. Now it is reversed. While playing with a ball, J threw it to R to an unsatisfactory standard. R told him "to go to the naughty corner".  J dropped his head like he was actually in trouble, before walking over to the step to sit down.

5.
The boys have taken their backseat driving to the next level. R actually admonished my wife on driving one handed, with very specific detail. "You need to use two hands. No, not like that. One on each side", he said. But the driving instruction wasn't over. "When you turn you need to move one hand to the top".

6.
J loves his doll of Woody from Toy Story. He sleeps with it, but only if it is also wearing its hat.

He has also taken to placing Woody in the most ridiculous situations, usually while singing the song "You've Got A Friend In Me" repeatedly. Well, the one line over and over, because he doesn't know the other words.

Woody has been hung from a door handle by his neck, upside-down by his shoes from ledges, stuffed into a canister, and here he is hanging by his hat although it looks much worse:


7.
R is very talkative, although he is also very specific about who he is talking to. The other day he said something, and I started answering until he told me, "I'm talking to mummy, you silly boy!".

8.
J was playing with the remote controls, and when caught, said that "the remotes weren't comfortable. I have to fix them properly." He then placed them back on the coffee table, perfectly straight to the edge and each other.

9
Their favourite thing is dinosaurs. Once J told me "he loves dinosaurs". R added, "I'm a big fan".

When J saw a cow eating grass on television, he observed, "the cow is eating plants. Like a triceratops".

10.
With a brother on the way shortly, we've been asking the boys for name suggestions. "Baby" is a popular but uncreative choice, then "Woody", "Buzz", "Jessie", "Rex", "Slinky", "Mr. Potatohead", and so on.

J is clear that "have to be gentle, no hitting", I guess because it's okay to hit people the rest of the time. R has asked if he could come to the "hopstiple".

But the best baby comment was when they saw an A4 photo of me at a similar age to them. R looked at it and said, "where's your stripe?". He meant the lines that are developing on my forehead.

2 comments:

  1. Cute, nice memories to share with the boys. We have twin boys too, they are 9 months old, the youngest of 4 kids all together. I started a blog yesterday about doing stuff around Sydney with loads of kids. I am good at taking photos but my writing is not the best. Your pretty good at writing your funny. Maybe we should do a funny article about twin families in Sydney one day. Bek http://bek-4kidsandacar.blogspot.com.au/2016/06/4-kids-and-car.html?spref=fb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bek, I liked your blog. Down the track may be able to work on something together. In the meantime, I could setup a link to your blog on my page if you're interested. Please give my page a like on FB too :)

      Delete